Fourth of July Fireworks Display
4th of July Fireworks
Tuesday, July 4, 2017
The Toledo Blade’s “Red, White KABOOM” fireworks display will take place along the City’s riverfront on the 4th of July, starting at 10 pm. No live entertainment will be featured or scheduled food vendors. WGTE will Live Broadcast music selected to complement the fireworks which will be set off from the East Side of the river south of the volleyball courts at The Docks.
VIEWING & PARKING
- There is great viewing from both sides of the river. Park on the side of downtown closest to your home or next destination after the fireworks: if you live in North Toledo, park on the north side of downtown; if you live in West Toledo, park on the west side of downtown, but if you wish to cross the river you should park on the side of downtown from which it will be easiest to leave. This cannot be emphasized enough. The cross traffic associated with the vehicles trying to get “through” downtown may cause gridlock!
- Park only in the designated parking areas.
- Please be considerate and do not park in a restricted area. Tow trucks will be on duty to remove vehicles illegally parked prior to and throughout the events.
WHAT TO BRING: Folding chairs, blankets, non-alcoholic refreshments (no glass), radios to listen to WGTE, and plastic bag to take litter back home
Toledo Police Officers and Lucas County Sherriff Deputies will provide traffic control and assist with public safety before, during and after the event.
- Be patient when exiting the downtown area.
- Please do not block intersections when coming to or leaving the downtown area. Blocking intersections only adds to the amount of time that people will have to wait.
- Please obey the law enforcement officers directing you.
- A Safety Zone will be marked on both the land and the river to protect the public from the spent rockets.
- Dial 9-1-1 to report any emergency.
There will be limited portable restroom facilities placed along the riverfront.
Before the Fireworks:
The Coast Guard and other law enforcement organizations will be enforcing maritime rules on the Maumee River to include:
- Extended “No Wake Zone” for boaters on the Maumee River near downtown between the I-280 Glass City Skyway Bridge and the Railroad Bridge upriver of the High Level Bridge.
- Marine traffic prohibitions in the Exclusion Zone designated by buoys near the fireworks shoot site adjacent to International Park.
- Marine traffic prohibitions in the established reduced channel near downtown for the exclusive use by Emergency Marine Traffic.
- Boaters should take it slow and safe around vessels that are anchored to minimize wakes.
- After the display, departures will be escorted by marine patrol.
Vehicular and Pedestrian Traffic:
The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Bridge will be closed to vehicles at approximately 9:00 p.m. It will remain closed until traffic has cleared the area after the fireworks. Barricades will be placed at key intersections on both sides of the river in the vicinity of the bridge to prevent access to this area. Pedestrians will be permitted on the King Bridge.
Summit Street between Washington and Cherry will be closed to vehicular traffic at approximately 9:00 p.m. in the inbound directions into downtown. This will require eastbound Jackson Boulevard, eastbound Adams Street and eastbound Jefferson Avenue to be closed at St. Clair Street.
After the Fireworks:
The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Bridge will open to boat traffic after pedestrians clear the area. The King Bridge will open to vehicular traffic after the boat traffic clears under the bridge and pedestrians clear the area. Designated traffic signals at key exit locations will be put on a flashing mode to facilitate outbound traffic movement.
Summit Street will be reopened to vehicles after the pedestrian and vehicular traffic clears the area after the fireworks. Eastbound Jackson, Adams and Jefferson will reopen at St. Clair at this time also.
The High Tower and Edison Garage on Summit St.: Vehicles parked in these garages will be held until pedestrian traffic is cleared on Summit St. Law enforcement has anticipated 11:00 p.m., for traffic to be able to vacate these garages, about a half hour to be held in the garages post - fireworks.
Vehicles parked in the Port Lawrence Garage and Superior Street Garage will be exiting from the structures as directed by law enforcement officers to minimize delay of the traffic flow on the roadway.